I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Recipe Thursday {Strawberry Jam}

I'm so excited about this jam! It was my first attempt at canning, and all went very well. Oh, and it tastes soooo delicious!! It's so good that I ate that spoon full of jam all by itself after I took the picture above. Yum!


I used a recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook as a starting point. I also found a version of the recipe on their website here. On a side note, if you don't have that cookbook, I'd run out and buy it. It not only has a lot of recipes but lots of tips, tricks and techniques to help you along the way. I got mine a couple years ago and LOVE it! And no one's paying me to say that :-)
Here's my version of the recipe:


This recipe makes 4 pint jars or 8 half pints.

  • About 2 quarts strawberries. I think this turned out to be about 3 pounds of strawberries.
  • 1 1 3/4 ounce package of powdered fruit pectin (I found mine in the baking aisle at Target along with my jars)
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter or margarine
  • 7 cups sugar (yes, 7!)
Hull your strawberries.

I pureed my strawberries in my blender until I had 5 cups of pureed strawberries. Looking back, a food processor may work better for this. I had to do a cup or two of strawberries at a time. You'd probably be able to do more than that at a time with a food processor.

Place your puree in a heavy bottomed large pot. Mine was 5 quarts. Stir in pectin and butter.

Heat on high until mixture comes to a full rolling boil. You've got a rolling boil when you can't stir it down. Be sure to constantly stir the mixture or it will scorch.

Add your sugar all at once. I measured out all my sugar and had it in a bowl waiting before I started the puree mixture boiling, so I could be sure to continue stirring. Return the mixture to boiling and boil for 1 minute, again stirring constantly. 

Remove from the heat and skim off the foam with a metal spoon. 

Ladle immediately into hot, sterilized jars (the original recipe says to use half pint jars but I used pint jars). Be sure to leave a little room (about 1/4 of an inch) at the top  in case the jam expands. Wipe the rims of your jars clean before fastening the lids.

Process your jars in a boiling water bath. I don't have a water canner, so I just used a very large stockpot (I got the idea here), and it worked just fine. The original recipe called for a processing/boiling time of 5 minutes, but I processed the jam for 20 minutes since our elevation is above 6,000 feet. You'll start the time once your water returns to a boil (if it stops boiling when you put the jars in the water-mine didn't stop boiling). There was a conversion chart included with the jars I bought. You can see a conversion chart here.

Once the processing time is complete, remove the jars and let them cool. It takes quite a while for them to cool. I just let them sit for about a day before moving them. They will seal as they cool.

It is quite a bit a work but not quite as difficult as I thought it would be. I plan on doing it again sometime!
Oh! I have one more little tip. If you need something to store your cans in, try a Costco milk box.
It's the perfect size for 8 pint sized jars...

I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties.

12 comments:

  1. Looks very yummy! Great for your first shot at it. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! Thanks for linking up to Flaunt It Friday! :) Hope you will come back and visit!

    Sarah
    @ www.dottedlinecrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love homemade jam! Pure deliciousness! My mouth is watering at the thought! Strawberries aren't quite at there peak here yet but I can't wait! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade jam is the best! Thank you for sharing on Fabulous Friday! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMY... LOVE this ....such a wonderful post.. Thanks SO muc for linking to Pin'Inspirational Thurday's, hope you are back again this week.. xo ~ Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so yummy! I have made grape, strawberry and strawberry rhubarb. It is so much better than store! Newest Follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so tasty! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday, I'd love for you to come back today for my linky party! I’d love for you to share this project on Tuesday’s Tidbits @ Naptime Delights: http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-3.html

    Thanks so much!
    Sarah
    {http://naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful! I made a lot of jam a couple years ago and now I am inspired to make more this year. I even have some rubarb in my backyard...maybe I'll make strawberry rubarb jam. Thanks for sharing!

    Your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delish! I make homemade strawberry jam all the time and can't even think of using store bought anymore. Just not the same. Have you ever tried the pink box (lower sugar sure jell)? It's great (been using it for at least 10 years now) and it only requires 4 cups sugar instead of 7 and tastes the same. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday last week. I can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a wonderful day :)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Erin,
    Your strawberry jam looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I have been planning to make some soon. ;o)
    Smiles, Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy!!! I LOVE homemade strawberry jam!!!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for linking up at Naptime Delights! I hope you'll stop by today and share something new!
    http://naptimedelights.blogspot.ca/2012/06/tuesdays-tidbits-4.html
    Thanks so much!
    Sarah
    {http://naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!